Today started with a bang....

Go down

Today started with a bang....

Post  Admin on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:17 pm

I am SO tired of messing with water and water problems. This morning when I went to let the horses out, I saw that the horse trough was more than half empty....that is NOT normal...so I let them out and went to investigate..thinking....gawd, maybe they cracked the trough and it's leaking. Ah but no such luck (troughs can be replaced easily). Since we got the new water spigot, I have left the hose in the trough, so all I have to do is turn the spigot on...fill the trough, turn it off and walk away. It's a steep grade hill down to the trough, and the water just drains into it, and the hose doesn't freeze or anything. Well for whatever ghostly reason, yesterday...the gravity that pulls the water down below the ground so the pipe that is attached to the spigot doesn't freeze, must have started sucking water out of the trough....back UP the hill... into the spigot, into the pipe and down into the ground....it did that until it started freezing...then once froze the whole thing was frozen. Greg had to use a weed burning torch to get it going again....(not until after he had a romping fit, of course)....he was sure the pipe was probably busted underground....but we got lucky!! Smile

TWO lucky things this week....Moj didn't have a huge spell over chasing the dogs....and the pipe didn't break....BIG good luck things!!! I cut the frigging hose off, and we'll do water the old fashioned way....stand there and hold the hose....drain it, and leave it on the gound....

This almost is a scientific impossibility....water does not run up hill (nor have I ever had any luck siphoning uphill). It must have just been a perfect storm kind of thing, but I don't think I'll test it again, till next summer....LOL.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://patandphran.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Today started with a bang....

Post  PatriciafromCO on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:45 am

Very Happy yay!!! for the good things and near misses !!!!!

that is what happens if I just shut the sump pump off and the hose is still in the troughs.. it vacum sucks it back to the cistrins.. I have to raise the hose out of the water in the tank to break that sucktion so it wont happen.. Glad it worked out ok for not needing new parts.

what happen to our spikets was the seal under ground that is supose to open when the handle is shut to let the water drain back down would always keep breaking.. So we don't use the spikets any more.. Pain in the ass to have to keep digging them up to unglogg the gravel around it even after changing the seal from just lifting the top up.

quiet day here.. UPS delivered the roads are passiable. Will hit the town tomorrow stock up on horse and bird and me.. Am hoping it's not a holiday for the post office ??? Pearl Harbor stuff..

I had my face creams in a little cosmetic zipper bag and well .. Miss Adele didn't miss a beat in picking it up and taking off with it outside into the snow.. The bottles are white and over a foot of snow for miles.. I didn't think I would find it.. I came across the Vit C container and I was showing the dogs and Adele about finding my stuff.... Little squirt,, she ran right over and pawing uncovered a blue bottle that was also in there, and just took off running with it.. MOM catch me lol lol .. (restrains from murder lol ) sure enough the other necter cream was where she got the blue bottle from pushed down in the snow and barely could see it was there for it being white with a bit of silver on it.. So I have my stuff back lol .. gosh too expensive to think of purchasing it when it not on sale.. No glad I don't have to do without....

tongue
PatriciafromCO
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down